2.06.2006

lots to tell

Ok, so since my "Alexander's bad day" post, there have been some ups and downs. Mostly ups.

I will begin by sharing with you a photo of the absolute cutest cat in the entire world, my son, Maximus. He absolutely hated wearing this hoodie I bought at Gap for him, (which will likely be returned this week - its actually a little big.) But I must say he is positively preppy handsome in this photo.

Ok. So on Friday I went to eat at On the Border. Pretty tasty. I recommend their enchiladas highly; the beef taco - not so much. Then I went to see End of the Spear. It was quite moving. Not very national geographic - which I kind of expected, but was able to appreciate and found that it removed distraction from the story-line. You should give it a view. Here's the movie website.

Saturday I attend the Birmingham Alumnae Chapter's luncheon honoring Judson Alum and Metropolitan Opera singer Irene Jordan Caplan (Class of 1939). It was so good to hear the stories that were shared and to actually hear this almost 90 year old woman actually sing Sweet Little Jesus Boy. She can also still play the piano, which was quite impressive. Around 150 people attended the event at The Club near Vulcan here in Birmingham. Marie and I took the..ehem..scenic route to get there :) But I must say I enjoyed the extra time of hanging out with Marie. She makes me laugh.

After the luncheon, I gave Marie a blogging lesson and we headed off to meet a friend at the dollar theater to see Rent. Marie and I had previously seen it, so of course we were every-so-quietly singing the words to every song under our breath. Sad storyline - great vocals - fun music.

Yesterday was church day, of course....and the Super Bowl. We had a great time eating wings and such...playing Mad Gab during half-time. I must say the sea o people under the rolling stone tongue was pretty cool. As usual commercials were amusing. Personal fav - the FedEx commercial.

Late last night Mom called to tell me dad had developed a fever. I, of course, was immediately upset; but I refrained from letting mom in on any of my emotions. As we hung up the phone I lost it. I know most of you won't know this, and I am not interested in sharing details, but this is my third father. I have already lost two. I just don't feel prepared to lose a third; not now. My parents are precious to me; they have loved me and been there for me when nobody else did. I can't imagine not being able to call up either one of them at any moment just to hear their voice or to tell them I love them. It's not something I like to think about, and last night it was all I could think about. Well dad's fever finally broke in the early hours of the morning. I got to talk to him this morning, so I feel much better; but I still worry so much. His heart condition, the cancer, his sugar problems, etc...they have all affected his ability to fight of infections and such.

Please pray for my parents' health.

Well, I suppose I should get back to work. Have a good week.

8 comments:

Ashley Smith ~ The Primary Source said...

Hey Girl...I'm back and will e-mail you more on that later. Just wanted you to know I loved you and would be praying for you and your family!

Melissa said...

Thanks, Ash. I'm glad you are back safely and I'm looking forward to reading your email. We appreciate your prayers very much. I love you, too.

Mandy said...

I will be praying for you family!! I know it is hard to be away and not know exactly what's going on! I can't wait to see you!! Love you!

Unknown said...

Wait...I thought you said there was a "Big Kiss"?

Melissa said...

Luke - YOU WISH! Like I'd post that kind of dirt here ;-)

Unknown said...

So there was a Big Kiss!!!

Marie said...

Melissa, you are lucky...some people live in Birmingham there entire life and never see Vulcan up close and personal. Now you can say You have, along with the Maryland People.

Melissa said...

Luke...give it up already.

Marie...so true. And yes, I consider myself very lucky :)

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker