If you don't want to know anything about the movie, don't read this blog. I will be sharing my overall thoughts on the movie.So, my hubby, being the sweet guy he is, offered to go see Mamma Mia with me last night. I was VERY surprised, but very grateful, because he knows I've been wanting to see it. Kudos to him for enduring this major chick flick - the only other guys in the theater were gay, with the exception of the elderly man with his wife.
I have seen the Broadway musical twice - first in London and again in New York, and both times I found myself dancing in my seat and singing along, right along with the rest of the audience. The experience I had last night was *almost* no different. I did have to put up with, however, the rather obnoxious and loud giggles of a group of women on our aisle who found the big screen adaption of the musical rather comical - almost always because of one Pierce Brosnan, who plays Sam. I must say, I, too found his singing QUITE amusing. I wasn't sure if that is what the directors wanted - for us to be laughing EVERY time he opened his mouth to eject something that resembled music - but its certainly what they got. It was almost a little too distracting for me, honestly - I suppose because I am all for humor, but I also appreciate a good singing voice, and Pierce definitely should stick to being Agent 007.
I am always a fan of Colin Firth's work, and for the most part he lived up to my expectations. Quite easy on the eyes, I was even more enamored with him holding a guitar and the interesting tone of his singing voice. He was quite the perfect choice for Harry, although I do not recall the character being gay in the original Broadway musical. (Perhaps I was oblivious?) At any rate, his "coming out" late in the movie also makes for some good giggles.
Though I wasn't familiar with his work, I was pleased with Stellen Skarsgard's performance as Harry, though I don't have much to say about him as a whole.Meryl. Meryl, Meryl, Meryl. Wow. So Meryl Streep played the part of Sophie's mom, Donna. This was perhaps the most perplexing character casting of the whole movie. I found myself imagining any other character but her as Donna as I sat there trying to take in her vocals and romping around like she was 30 years old and a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model. Though she did make a valiant effort at singing, it just really wasn't up to par (IMHO) for a big screen adaption of a huge broadway musical like Mamma Mia. (I don't recall a single singer in the movie adaption of Rent being less than great.) I would be interested to know if Meryl was the first choice for the part. I'm STILL trying to decide who I think would have been a better choice.
I think I've decided Amanda Seyfried as Sophie was a good choice. She had a lot of charm and charisma, and a very innocent yet interesting voice. She's just a very likeable character. Dominic Cooper as Sky, however, did nothing for me. Nothing.)
Oh, and Christine Baranski as Tanya...less than perfect vocals, entirely too skinny and old looking. I was trying to imagine what Kim Cattrall (Samantha from Sex and the City) would do for the role and if there was any chance she had a decent singing voice. My guess is no, but she's more attractive at least! For the record, though, Julie Walters was spot-on as Rosie.Okay, enough critiquing. I'm over it. Overall, the movie was enjoyable, though I missed quite a few things I'm sure thanks to the crazy women on a row who laughed far too loudly during the majority of the film. I did find myself crying during one of the musical numbers, and surprising not because of how much I didn't like Meryl's singing. The scene with mother and daughter preparing for a wedding made me miss my mother quite a bit. I suddenly found myself scrounging for a napkin because I was all but squawling like a baby. I wish my mom lived closer.
Well, there you have it. Melissa's ramblings over a much-talked-about movie. Overall I would say I enjoyed myself, but maybe I went in with too high of expectations for the singing. (And unless I missed it, they left out my favorite song during the movie, "Thank You for the Music." It was only on my way out of the theater did I hear them singing it.)
I look forward to hearing your opinions on the movie, whether they resemble mine or not.
P.S. Mandy there's a shout out to Duke in the movie via t-shirt. :)

12 comments:
i still want to see it!
oh i definitely think you should see it! i just know that you, like me, are a fan of "good" music, and don't want you to be surprised! lol. it still makes for a fun experience, regardless of the quality of vocals.
i loved it. totally agree with you on pierce's singing voice. it was hilarious. the rent folks were spot-on because everyone in the movie originated the role on broadway except for tracie thoms as joanne and rosario dawson as mimi . . . they thought the original mimi looked too old for the part.
thanks for the rent tidbit, susie! i guess i never knew they used almost all the original cast. no wonder my expectations were so high for this one!
OK, I need to know if it's a rental or is it worth the dough to go to the theater...what say you?
I would say to get the full experience you need to see it in theater, larger than life. I don't think it will have the same effect at home.
I miss my Mama too, Melissa!
I'm so glad you guys came to my art show! And that we all got to chat for awhile at the Steak-n-stay-for-eternity-shake! And by the way, my little girl's empty backpack--- did I mention it's Kim Possible! Oh, yeah, baby! My favorite cartoon! I know it's pathetic. What can I say...one can only handle so much Larry the Cucumber!
Update por favor.
Touche. Okay. I will have an update within the week. The pics may have to be delivered by courier and immediately destroyed. I now resemble Veruca Salt on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. (after she chewed the gum)
BTW, I highly recommend getting pregnant. It's awesome. You think your husband spoils you now.....
I posted. Where's yours?
HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Are we gonna get an update before Mamma Mia comes out on DVD?!?!?! IT's time chic! Whaddup?
Post a Comment