12.12.2005

just love.

So this weekend I saw Rent. Great movie. The vocals were amazing. The content was "questionable," but reality. As the credits started rolling I overheard an older man behind me say "that has to be the worst movie I have ever seen." Perhaps he didn't know his significant other was taking him to see a musical or maybe the content was too much for him.

Rent has to do with AIDS, homosexuality, homeless people, etc. Why do these things scare people so much? People that live different lifestyles are people, too. And they need love. Last night on Extreme Home Makeover they delivered a meal and some home items to a gay man with AIDS. This man had been living with his partner and his parents whom he was taking care of. All three of them died within the past 18 months - his dad had died within the past week. He was evicted from the place he was living and JUST moved into an apartment. He had a bed with a sleeping bag on it, a chair, and some old family photos. Receiving a meal, some bedding, towels, and such, and just love in general did so much to lift him during a very difficult time in his life. He just needed a little love.

How about not being scared to be associated with "the gays" and just loving on someone different from you today? Share some love with a homeless person. SERVE someone.

Other than seeing Rent this weekend I had the opportunity to babysit - I will forever be in love with the sound of a child's laugh. I got to visit with some friends I haven't seen in a while, and meet some new people. Surprise parties make me smile. I also talked to someone on the phone whom I've never really spoken with - but she needed a friend...and I felt so blessed to be there for her.

Church was a blessing as well. There is so much negativity regarding the church these days - but this church I've found - or that found me - while it's small in numbers its large in love. The people who attend there really know what it's all about. If you don't know what "it" is, you should visit. You'll see. (http://www.safeharboronline.org) And you'll likely make a new friend.

5 comments:

Ashley Smith ~ The Primary Source said...

I also completely LOVED Rent. Several people got up and walked out of the movie when i went to see it, and many were like, I can't beleive you went to see that when I talked about it later. People so need to get over their pious, holier-than-thou-selves! Glad you also liked it!!

Melissa said...

Yeah, we noticed some people leave as well now that you mention it. The musical elements were phenomenal though. The harmonies were so tight and the voices blended so well! If I can see it on stage I will.

You will have to come visit me sometime after I get into my new apartment! I'm having a pampered chef party January 14 I believe. I'd love for you to come if you can.

Ashley Smith ~ The Primary Source said...

hey...send me your new snail-mail address...i would love to come and visit!

Anonymous said...

Melissa,

What is wrong with me? I now have only one paper left to write (actually about 2 pages of a paper to write) and I am STILL procrastinating. One would think that a desire to sleep would kick in and take over, but it hasn't happened yet. Any ideas on a conclusion for a paper about gender and the SBC?

Love,
Your special friend

Anonymous said...

okay, i survived. i just sent in my last paper - yay! now i get to go shopping :-)

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker