
...but now he is found. So since several people have asked about my horrible experience of last night, I thought I would take a moment to share with you about it. My new cat, who has finally been named Maximus (meaning "greatness"), managed to escape last evening. Apparently the front door of our apartment was left open, and at some point in the evening (I'm not really sure when) Max slipped on out. Well I did not notice he was missing until I was ready to go to bed and was going to bring him in the room for the night. Thus began my search for the prodigal son.
After 5 minutes of trying to calmly search for him I became a bit of an emotional basketcase. I phoned my mother who remained on the phone with me for the duration of the experience. I walked a good bit of the apartment grounds with flashlight and treat bag in hand, with no luck. I also did a drive-through of the area and went all the way down to the local gas station - you know - just in case Max had gone for a slurpee. No luck. Once I was sufficiently frozen solid and had cried almost every tear I had in me, I conceded that my searching would not be profitable, and the best I could hope for was to pray he found his way home, despite the fact he had never been outside and really is not comfortable with his own name yet. I was also comforted to know he still had his front claws and would be able to defend himself if necessary.
Well, with mom still on the line, we decided I should put his pet taxi outside and his food bowl. Mom said his keen sense of smell might draw him back. I agreed and then stood out there a while in hopes that I would hear the faint tinkle of a little bell. And much to my surprise I did! I looked over to the neighbor's patio and saw two little beady eyes peering back at me. I quickly enlisted a roommate to help me get him. Apparently he was enjoying his new-found freedom, so he was a little hesitant to come to me, but eventually I enticed him with a handful of treats, and the prodigal was returned safely to his home.
No coming home party or fat cow for him...it was bed time. We slept through the night and today he was the sweetest he's been since I brought him home.

7 comments:
Wow...you cried over a CAT? Who cries over them? I mean...they hate people. The only reason they even go near people is to rub up on them and put their scent on your pants leg.
Yes, I cried. My cat loves me. And I have a responsibility to take care of him because he can not do it for himself. Thanks for being sensitive to my crisis. :)
I tried to tell you that he would come back for the food. Who else is going to treat him so well? :-)
yea yea....all-knowing mandy. ;) and really i dont know who could possibly treater him better than me...i'm a good mom - at least i try to be.
I also would have cried had it been my cat Bailey (who btw ranks up there in cuteness with Max!) Glad he's home!
I'm glad he came home... and glad none of you crazy neighbors got him first. There are some interesting people who live over there.
Ashley - Thanks for dropping by the ole blog...I'm sure Bailey is precious. Hope you are doing well. You'll have to come visit me sometime or vice versa.
Susan - You are correct. We have some very interesting neighbors. By the way, I am moving the end of this month - most likely to some apartments very near where you and Marie lived.
Post a Comment